Monday, February 06, 2006

Things That Stick

The Monkeyboy and I went to see the Revels perform at the Saturdays at the National program a few weeks ago. It was a fabulous children's event, even if mine was the shiest of the shy Monkeys in attendance and wouldn't sing and dance like a good Monkey should. He's totally got the performance bug...just not quite the lack of fear yet. Ah well...we'll get there...

Anyway, so one of the songs that the children's chorus did was a Norwegian song that translates to something like "I Traveled Over Land And Sea"...and boy did it stick. The Monkey and I have been inventing variations on the chorus for two weeks now... It goes something like this (and I allow that there may be some creative license in a few places...I didn't have lyrics to go by, so we made it up...don't cringe too hard, Revelfriends!):

I traveled over land and sea
I met an old man, he met me
We talked of this
We talked of that
He asked "where is your homeland?"

(chorus)
My home it is in tramping land
In tramping land
In tramping land
And everyone who's tramping can
We all can live in tramping land!

So the Monkeyboy quickly figured out how to improvise on the chorus... We started out with some of the ones they did in the show (clapping land...pointing land...hopping land) and then he moved on to some of the more obscure homelands...

tickle land...
jumping land...
spinning land...
wiggle land...
shaking land...
silly land...

Then he suddenly says "Oh wait! I've got one!!" and hurls himself down on all fours with one leg thrust up in the air...

We all live in yoga land, in yoga land, in yoga land...

I just about fell over laughing...

(Side note to the G-Dog: you may appreciate knowing that the Monkey was, to some degree, joining you in Inappropriate Land for this bit of the performance...since he was stark naked in the bathroom at the time...which, to me, only made it funnier...and, you know, probably that much more inappropriate...heh)

2 comments:

towwas said...

You got the lyrics exactly right! Which is particularly impressive because they're kind of weird. And, yes, I'm afraid the monkey is going to have to move to inappropriate land with G-dog. Miss S and I spend a lot of time in people-issues land, and of course there are any number of other lands. Oh, drinking land - always had to go to drinking land after the shows.

Ahhhh, Revels.

Cheryl said...

Ah yes, a timeless classic. Monkeyboy's version of yoga land - pretty awesome.

Monkeyboy's serenaded Little Miss and me at McDonald's with a verse of silly land. Beautiful!