Monday, February 06, 2006

5...6...7...8

One teensy little quick note:

If you're going to be an instructor for a fitness class...like, oh, say spinning...you should really know how to count music. No. I'm not kidding. It's actually very, very important.

Like, for example, if you're leading us through jumps (or, I think they call them "intervals" now) and you're using a standard sort of thumpity-thumpy hip-hop song, you really can't count the jumps in 10. It doesn't work and it's very confusing. And awful. And...please...make it stop!!

Or, alternately, don't mind me...I'll be the one on the bike in the back with my eyes squinched shut jumping in time to the music...furtively (incessantly!) mouthing "five...six...seven....eight... ONE...two...three...four..."

2 comments:

towwas said...

Yeah, I'm with you. The knowledge that most music is 4/4: it's important in our modern world. Yknow, I realized this weekend that several songs in Jesus Christ Superstar are in 5/4. Maybe she's just really, really familiar with the early works of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

MonkeyMom said...

And if we happen to be jumping to Jesus Christ Superstar, I'm totally down with the 10-count jump!

But as long as it's a Pink-"Don't Let Me Get Me"-remix, I'm going to insist on intervalling to my own private 8...