Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Surf's Up

I'm stuffed. Almost, in fact, too stuffed to blog... You remember that scene in America's Sweethearts when Julia Roberts says "You know when they talk about 'falling off the wagon?' Well, this is what it looks like..." Yeah, I feel like that....like there's a detox program and some serious hours on the elliptical machine in my immediate future. Blah...

The holidays are like that, aren't they? It's all overwhelming and consuming and consumptive... I've never been surfing, but I kind of expect it's like when the wave you've been peacefully riding suddenly overtakes you. And maybe you struggle against it a little, but mostly you just wait til it lets you go and you float to the top...gasping for air and disoriented...flailing around a little while you try to site the shore...


...and then you catch your breath...get your bearings...and start swimming...toward the shore...toward something solid and normal.


But not for me...not just yet. I'm still in the middle of the holly jolly, here comes Santa Claus swell... And it's not really so bad...but I'll be kind of glad when I can start swimming and breathe again.

No comments: