Friday, August 24, 2007

Puzzle

The house buying process (i.e. mild panic) will be gearing up in a few months and in preparation, I've been pouring over what's available in the area. It's a bit of a puzzle:

What I can afford / school district + resale value * neighborhood condition = Best Value

...actually, that was more like math. Either way, it's complicated and stressful and terrifying and exciting...but mostly terrifying because the decision is mine and mine alone...and what I decide will ultimately impact not only me, but also the Monkey. GACK!

I was trying a little out of the box thinking today (ok, what if I wasn't bound by school district...what could I get?) and checking housing prices against school quality. Great Schools has been a life saver for me (thanks, Ellen!). I found a few houses I could comfortably afford and decided to check out the elementary school in the neighborhood. Great Schools pointed me to this gem of a parent review:

Posted March 15, 2007
I have 2 kids studying @ *school* for 2yrs. now & I can say that *school* is providing good educ.I always look @ my kid's homework & my kids updates me on what they're learning in school, and I can say their lessons are challenging. The teachers also sees to it that students are receiving lessons appropriate for they're capability.The only thing that I think that needs improvement is their lessons in reading, I supplement it by giving my kids extra activities @ home.They have after school programs and lots of kids registered for those programs. The teachers/office staffs are friendly, caring and very concern with the students. More power to *school* Elem School!

How's that for an endorsement?

*dies a little on the inside*

1 comment:

BASSO said...

...consider the source, but, yeah, not exactly what you'd hoped, huh?