Wednesday, April 19, 2006

There's a bathroom on the right...

I know it's not ok to lie to your kids. It's not. But I wonder if a little misdirection is permissable?

Like, ok, the Monkey loves the song "1985" by Bowling for Soup...and why not? I mean, it's super fun. Last night, we had a little discussion about the lyrics...

Monkey: (singing...while dramatically thrashing himself around on the stairs)
She was gonna be an actress!
She was gonna be a star!
She was gonna shake her ass...
On the hood of...

Me: Um...sweetie? Remember, it's "shake her back"? We talked about that after you sang it for Grammi at Christmas...

Monkey: Well, yeah, but they say "razz" so I want to say "razz"

Me: Oh, no...actually, they got it wrong...it's "back"...really. See...they mean it like this...

[imagine demonstration in which it is possible to actually shake one's back -- no, wait...on second thought, don't.]

Monkey: Ohhhhhhh..... Ok!
(resumes singing)
She was gonna shake her back
On the hood of Whitesnake's car
Her yellow C-B-D...is now the enemy...

Meh... I figure he's no worse off than the people who've been singing "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night..." for a couple of decades...

4 comments:

grrrbear said...

Or the people who thought the first line to "You're the One that I Want" from Grease went:

"I got *shoes*! They're made of plywood. And I'm smoooooooothin' the flooow!"

Even when we were *in* the show in high school.

All right, all right, I admit I didn't get the part of Danny Zukko. I was only a sophomore.

towwas said...

Ah, someday the Monkey is going to read this blog and understand everything. Hi Monkey! You were cute when you were ltitle!

MonkeyMom said...

Another favorite of mine is Mike Reno and Anne Wilson's "Almost parrot eyes..." from the Footloose soundtrack. :)

Cheryl said...

My so-hip mother created a fun one when I was in high school, remember that song "Don't Touch Me" by that nice rapper MC Screwdriver? (She thought it was a reference to the drink. Honestly. I am not making this up.)