Wednesday, April 19, 2006

There's a bathroom on the right...

I know it's not ok to lie to your kids. It's not. But I wonder if a little misdirection is permissable?

Like, ok, the Monkey loves the song "1985" by Bowling for Soup...and why not? I mean, it's super fun. Last night, we had a little discussion about the lyrics...

Monkey: (singing...while dramatically thrashing himself around on the stairs)
She was gonna be an actress!
She was gonna be a star!
She was gonna shake her ass...
On the hood of...

Me: Um...sweetie? Remember, it's "shake her back"? We talked about that after you sang it for Grammi at Christmas...

Monkey: Well, yeah, but they say "razz" so I want to say "razz"

Me: Oh, no...actually, they got it wrong...it's "back"...really. See...they mean it like this...

[imagine demonstration in which it is possible to actually shake one's back -- no, wait...on second thought, don't.]

Monkey: Ohhhhhhh..... Ok!
(resumes singing)
She was gonna shake her back
On the hood of Whitesnake's car
Her yellow C-B-D...is now the enemy...

Meh... I figure he's no worse off than the people who've been singing "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night..." for a couple of decades...

4 comments:

grrrbear said...

Or the people who thought the first line to "You're the One that I Want" from Grease went:

"I got *shoes*! They're made of plywood. And I'm smoooooooothin' the flooow!"

Even when we were *in* the show in high school.

All right, all right, I admit I didn't get the part of Danny Zukko. I was only a sophomore.

towwas said...

Ah, someday the Monkey is going to read this blog and understand everything. Hi Monkey! You were cute when you were ltitle!

I Blog, You Blog said...

Another favorite of mine is Mike Reno and Anne Wilson's "Almost parrot eyes..." from the Footloose soundtrack. :)

miss shirley said...

My so-hip mother created a fun one when I was in high school, remember that song "Don't Touch Me" by that nice rapper MC Screwdriver? (She thought it was a reference to the drink. Honestly. I am not making this up.)