Sunday, January 29, 2006

It Was For A Reason, Dammit!

We're converting to Oracle Financials at work.

This fact means probably very little to most people, and with good reason...not everyone should have to go through this pain. Seven years worth of data is being converted over into a commercial off-the-shelf system (a.k.a. COTS, if you're into acronyms)...and it's supposed to be turned on tomorrow...only the new system and the accounting system are out of balance.

[I should point out at this juncture, in case you don't know, that I work for, effectively, a funding agency. Our job here is to shove money around and decide who gets funded to do the nifty stuff they do... So, let's see...seven years of data at ~$2.5B a year = a friggin lot of documents...]

So my job this weekend (for close to 8 hours this weekend, so far) has been to ferrett out imbalances. Run reports and match -- document by greuling-assed document -- the accounting system to the financial system. It's Sisyphus and his rock, baby....all. weekend. long. I think I'm blind.

I never took an accounting class. I majored in Communication. Looks like I made some wise choices in college after all...

2 comments:

towwas said...

Eughhhhh. That sounds like a lot of no fun. Maybe if I imagine you working over there it will motivate me to do work over here...maybe not, though.

braz said...

You made a reference to Sisyphus.

*swoon*