Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Encouragement

The Monkeyboy got back from his excursion to the great state of Texas last night. I swear he came back taller...and thinner...and speaking more clearly than ever. It's remarkable how much they seem to change when they're away for even a small amount of time. It was a lovely homecoming with lots of conversation...lots of him playing with my hair (he's more than mildly obsessed with my curls)...lots of hugs and cuddle time.

After dinner, as I was cleaning up dishes and he was cleaning up in the living room, he came bounding in and said "Mommy, what's encouragement?" I stopped and thought for a minute and rather than giving a definition, I gave him examples: "Well, it's like when Samantha is running a race and you say 'go, Samantha, go!' ...that's giving her encouragement....or, when you don't want to eat your dinner and I say 'But if you eat it will make you strong and healthy...that's me encouraging you to eat."

Now, the cool thing about the Monkeyboy is that he's absolutely as verbal as me...so when he asks about a word, it's not idle -- he wants to understand it and use it. I forget this sometimes, though and he'll catch me off guard...

Later in the evening as he was getting ready for the bath, he was struggling to get his pants off...turning in circles...up...squat...wiggling all around... I was getting things together and only about half paying attention to his struggle. I said something offhandedly and he replied "No, Mommy! Encourage me!!"

...and I did.

What a clever little Monkey...

3 comments:

towwas said...

Dang - encouragement is a pretty abstract concept. Don't you think?

MonkeyMom said...

Well, yes...but it's an easy thing to example, anyway... He gets the gist of things frighteningly quickly. Mostly I try not to think about it as he's likely to be able to outthink me by age 8...

Cheryl said...

I know what you mean. Little Miss is constantly suprising me with her comprehnsion and ability. I just told her this morning she was about ready to move out and make a go of it on her own.