Thursday, December 08, 2005

Three Blog Night

I know, of course, that no good hair day is ever truly "wasted" but sometimes there's this sense that maybe there was something more possible... A conversation that was, by valid necessity, postponed... A connection waiting in the wings... That ethereal thing that almost was...but then wasn't...or hasn't quite been...at least not yet. Happily, postponement does not negate possibility. I find this encouraging...and alliterative. Both of which make me exceptionally happy. Particularly tonight.

And so, in the spirit of those things to come, I'll offer the following as my final (and perhaps definitive) "remarkable thing" of the day: The moon.

The moon in and of itself might not be, to everyone, particularly remarkable...it is, after all, pervasive...sort of always around even when we forget to acknowledge it... And, conversely, it's been penned by minds much greater than mine...so I am aware even as I contemplate it that I have not landed on an original topic. Yet I perservere: sometimes, it still gets to me.

Tonight as I stepped out of the car in the driveway, the moon bent down to greet me. It bowed its greeting low, nearly brushing the hill in the back yard...framed by the skeletal outline of my towering and now-leafless trees. To call it merely "bright" would be an injustice...it was alive...glowing...spotlight-white against a cold black sky...in its thumbnail phase and tipped upward for luck. It was, at least to me and in the very real sense of the term, an utterly remarkable sight.

Moons like that were made for sharing...and since no camera would do it justice and I was alone...well, this.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...check out Venus tonight (Friday) -- so bright it will case shadows they say. Enjoy.