Friday, October 21, 2005

Blogworthy

I find that I spend a lot more time thinking about blogging than I do actually blogging.

I'm new to the sport, so I'm kind of finding my way. Well, but having said that, I should point out that I've been torturing my friends with epic emails for years (so maybe blogging is more of a humanitarian effort to salvage my friend-set). Regardless, here I am...and so far it seems to be going well...though maybe I'm not in a good position to really be a fair judge... Heh...

But anyway, as I see it, there are two primary choices in a blog:

1. Be funny.
B. Be poignant.
(preferably both)

And sometimes, I'm lucky enough to be struck with decisive moments of funny and/or poignant...and the blog just kind of flows out and that's really cool. But the rest of the time, I sort of wander around evaluating my little life's happenings in terms of their bloggability...and deciding, ultimately, to publish very little of it -- not necessarily because the event isn't either funny and/or poignant, but more because blogging it would yield something too short or too long or the punch line would die almost immediately after it was delivered...or maybe it would be pretentious...or maybe I don't actually want everyone to have access to that part of my life...

(ok, ok, *and* because a lot of what happens to me isn't, in fact, funny and/or poignant at all...fine...I said it.)

My friend "The One Who Writes About Science" (hereafter referred to, at her request, as "TOWWAS") has this knack for writing about completely random little snippits from her life and making them just terribly funny and/or poignant. But, you know, she writes for a living...so that probably bodes well for her. I think maybe I just don't quite have that talent yet...

So there winds up being big blog gaps as I filter through this sutff... And rather than perpetuate this particular gap in which I am currently mired, I thought I'd note some of the bloglettes I have chosen *not* to blog...

(found here in random order, yet numbered so as to give them the appearance of weight and rank):

5. My brief-but-passionate imagined affair with the character of Michael Fitzsimmons from the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married" (subtitle: "Oh How The Beat Poet Makes Me Swoon")

4. Funny Kid Stories (subtitle: "Musical Whiplash: How My 3-Year-Old Crooned Back-To-Back Renditions Of 'Viva Las Vegas' and 'The Barney Cleanup Song' From His Backseat Perch")

3. Musings on a sunrise (subtitle: "Yes, Laura, The Sky Is Purple...Get Over It")

2. My favorite song lyric:

Unknowing captor, you'll never know how much
You pierce my spirit...but I can't touch you
Can you hear it?A cry to be free...
But I'm forever under lock and key as you pass through me...

(subtitle: "Um...Technically, That's SomeoneElse'sWriting(tm); Blog Your Own Mind, Girlygirl")

1. Dishy stories and/or rants about my past/current relationships...while giving the key characters veiled little nicknames (subtitle possibilities: "Bguy and the Bench (Rowr!)" "Aboy: Platinum Player" "The Nbob Rants" "Making Out With Elroy" "Lmic's Inspiration Point" "Evenings With Cmon" etc...) -- the fun in this exercise, of course, is coming up with the appropriately veiled nicknames... Muhahaha...

And so, having foregone all of those topics...and ruling out work-related-things on principle (subtitle: "Yawnsville")...I'm left with, something fairly Seinfeld-esque: just a blog about nothing...

(Hmm...I wonder if that's worth blogging about?)

3 comments:

towwas said...

Hey, am I funny/poignant? Awesome!

MonkeyMom said...

Sometimes? You're both at the same time... That's how much you rule...

towwas said...

And here I was thinking I was just a whiny smartass!