Sunday, October 16, 2005

Almost Perfect

I wanted to start with the morning...but I think I should start with the night.

I was up late last night (and late, for me, incidentally is 2 a.m.). I spent a little time outside with a friend marvelling at the moon...it was spotlight bright in a cloudless black sky. The constellations paled in its beam....and the light actually cast shadows on the grass as a we wandered around the yard. It was remarkable. I've never been earth-girly enough to dance naked for that, but I think I might get why people would...those moons seem rare...and regardless, they are absolutely something to be celebrated and remembered.

And then the morning...

After a deep sleep spurred on by the last-night beers, I woke up this morning (late) to a gleaming sun and that clean sort of chill in the air that announces, in no uncertain terms, "Fall Has Arrived." And it's decadence, I think, to wake up to that sort of morning and burrow back in...sink deeper into the bed....deeper under the blankets...and just doze (those moments are, of course, more decadent when you're sharing happy half-sleep mutterings with someone...but it's not entirely less than perfect to be alone). It was absolutely glorious...the sort of thing that breeds a deep sense of contentment.

And now, having rent myself from the bed...morning hair tamed in a ponytail...glasses on...curled up in thermal PJs with a (second) steaming mug of coffee and a little Gasolineheart singing at me while I enjoy idle morning IM chatter with a friend: life is good. And this morning is panning out to be (almost) everything I could want it to be.

The last morning I remember like this was almost 10 years ago. And I'm not sure where I was in the intervening decade...why I didn't remember to pay attention. Now, I think maybe things are different. This year...this Fall...I won't miss a morning of it.

***

Unrelatedly, but not quite entirely, I've been trying to decide if anyone would notice beyond the food and the beer and the music that a "Leaf Raking Party" was a clever ploy to get help with my massive yard? Hmm...

4 comments:

towwas said...

I would notice. But I probably wouldn't tell everyone else. If you paid me off.

MonkeyMom said...

I hear you can be bribed with MTVHits and cookies... :)

towwas said...

Cookies, eh, I can take em or leave em. But MTV Hits? AbsoLUTEly! Which reminds me, we have to watch Miyazaki movies sometime. (Train of thought: MTV Hits --> Gorillaz video "Feel Good Inc." --> clearly influenced by Miyazaki movie "Castle in the Sky" or, as I prefer to call it, 天空の城ラピュタ.)

towwas said...

Actually it's much easier to call it Castle in the Sky (five syllables) but I really wanted to write 天空の城ラピュタ (nine syllables).