Sunday, February 20, 2011

To-Do

I'm sick.  Again.  Based on the raking feeling in my sternum every time I cough, I'd say it's bronchitis.  Again.  I've been sick more in the last three months than I've been well.  Wherever my immune system is vacationing, I hope it's having a good time....and I really, really hope it gets back soon.  We've got work to do!


Despite being forced to spend a particularly lovely weekend housebound, this bout of illness has been almost therapeutic.  I've been forced to take care of myself...really take care of myself.  I learned sometime between Friday night and yesterday that if I want to breathe without crippling pain, I have to slow down...  There's no shortcut for healing.  I need to sleep...a lot.  I need to stay still so I don't cough.  I need a near-constant intake of warm liquids.  I need both pain medicine and sinus washes twice a day...and I have to choke down the horribly disgusting codeine cough syrup at least once a day.


In short, I've sat around for almost 48 hours now.  I've done nothing on my to-do list for the weekend, although I have watched 2 movies, 4 episodes of Bones on Hulu, and have spent a LOT of time reading about how the bronchial system works.  I'm starting to understand what I need to do to support my lungs to keep them functioning...I'm exploring my hot tea threshold...and I'm still rooting for Bones and Booth to get together (although they won't, because everyone learned that lesson from Moonlighting all those years ago)... 


Admittedly, I'm going a little crazy....but the self-care is working.  I'm slightly better today than I was yesterday...and, more importantly, I'm learning that taking care of myself really needs to always be at the top of the to-do list....not just when my body leaves me no other choice.   

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am sorry that I only discovered this post post-chat. My Wordpress blog doesn't alert me to non-Wordpress blog updates, even blogs on my blogroll. (How many times can I say "blog" in one sentence?) I'm beginning to question Wordpress. Anyhootle, I am glad that you are feeling rested and less rattly in the rib cage.