Sunday, November 26, 2006

Brutal and Unfortunate

The following occurred to me at some point yesterday. I have no idea what to do with it. I'm thinking if I ever manage to find the tenacity to write a significant work of fiction (i.e. something longer and/or less personal than a blog), I might use it somewhere...

She thanked him. And then she hugged him...long and tight. It was a hug that said everything she couldn't manage...everything she wasn't brave enough to spell out. It was a hug that said, "I'm sorry. Goodbye." It was finality expressed simply and in no uncertain terms. She felt it. She knew it...just as surely as she knew he wasn't connected enough to her to feel it.

But then, had he been connected enough, there would have been no need for such a hug. This was the brutal and unfortunate catch-22 of their relationship.


It would be much more useful, it seems to me, if I could have written the first line of the story...or even the last line of the story...instead of some little revelation in the middle. This may well be the brutal and unfortunate catch-22 of my creative process...

Ah well...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Put it on the first page, then make the rest of your novel a flashback. No, wait - do it all Memento-style and backwards!