Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weird Things I Ponder

...why does my bottle of Wishbone Dressing boast in a big starburst callout "New Formula"?

I feel like I should be very afraid of any food that claims to have a "formula." I'm sorry I missed that marketing meeting...where the Marketing Guys (MGs) sat around and looked at the design for the bottle...

MG 1: Hey, nice work, champ. I like it. Only... Hmm. That green bit there at the top...awfully...green, isn't it?
MG 2: Well, yeah...but it's Wishbone...it's all gardeny. Gardens are green.
MG 1: Oh, sure. Right. (pause) Hmpf. Awfully green though...
MG 2: Yes, yes...I get it. You don't like the green. Fine. What should we put there?
MG 1: Oh, I dunno...needs something...yellow. Yeah...yellow. Hmm... This is different stuff, right?
MG 2: Yeah...we put dijon mustard in it. We're calling it "bolder"...
MG 1: Oh...that's good! Mustard is yellow. Maybe we could say (gesturing in the air) "Now With Mustard"...
MG 2: (pause...flatly) We're calling it "bolder."
MG 1: Oh. Right. Sure. Hmm... New stuff. Mustard. Ooh! What if we say...."NEW FORMULA!"
MG 2: It's salad dressing. We use a recipe.
MG 1: Yes...yes, of course. But..."recipe" sounds so...namby-pamby-Martha. This is bolder... It needs something bolder-sounding...
MG 2: ...and you think "formula" is bolder?
MG 1: Oh yes! Very space-age...very now...very bold.
MG 2: It's a recipe.
MG 1: Excellent! So put "New Formula" up there in that green bit. And make it yellow...
MG 2: ...because of the mustard.
MG 1: Exactly! You're really catching on there, sport... I see a future for you in this company yet...
MG 2: (rolls eyes and walks away)

No comments: