Thursday, December 01, 2005

Voices

So, I'm not one to post newsy things, really... My blog voice has been more in the realm of thoughtful/philosophical so far...and it feels odd to break out of that. And yes, I know I'm entitled to whatever voice I want for my blogs, but once you start writing with a certain tone, the flow is interrupted when there's deviations... I'm fussy. Can't help it. :)

With that in mind, I'll try to be thoughtful/philosophical when I talk about how incredibly excited I am for tomorrow. Tomorrow night is my annual brush with fame...my "close as I'll likely get" to some professional stage career...my "big night."

Tomorrow night I sing onstage with Judy Collins....for a paying audience.

I know...she's largely an aging hippie and a lot of her feel-good 60's music is out of place in this hard-edged rap era...but still. The experience is so cool that I don't care if I have to sing 10 choruses of "Open The Door"... And I'd up that to 20 for the chance to sing "The Water Is Wide" with her (her arrangement is really amazing...)

It has nothing to do with me, of course...the Director of the group I sing with regularly (The Georgetown Chorale) knows Judy's musical director and that's how we got the gig. We've kept it 4 years running because we behave professionally and don't suck. :)

[And I'm lucky this year -- my friend Reed is going to be there to hear me. (not that he's reads this blog, but still...mad props to him for giving up a Friday night for a hippie Christmas show! :)]

We're a smallish group...not more than 20 of us...and we line the back of the stage -- her stage -- and provide the background vocals for her Christmas songs and some of her standards. It's not about us and I know that...it's about being vocal instruments to set her off...but still...to be a part of it... Well, it's really quite something.

I wish I could bottle the feeling and give it out to everyone as Christmas gifts...

...then I think I'd wish to have the voice to do it for a living....you know, since I was wishing and stuff. :)

At any rate, if you sense an extra little bit of euphoria eminating from the Alexandria area tomorrow night, that'll be me...blissed out and raising my voice with a star...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...cool...feeling captured.

towwas said...

open the do-or, come on i-in, I'm so glad [pause] to see you my frie-e-e-end

towwas said...

And since you mentioned tone - you could think of the blog as a chance to experiment. Why be bound by what you picked when you first started it? I'd love to see some experimenting with voice. Says the writing nerd.