Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Phantom Ding Dong

I have one of those not-entirely-fancy doorbell things that plugs into the wall. It's on some sort of sensor, so when someone rings the doorbell outside, it rings down in the dining room. I bet, if I played with it, I could make it ring some interesting sort of ring...but for the moment, it's just a standard ding-dong sound.

The doorbell rings a lot...though I never get much company. For awhile, I was convinced that a deer was inadvertently pressing the buttons with its huge antlers while it ate my hostas down to the ground (the hosta killing deer are another blog though). But after never, ever actually seeing a deer when the doorbell rang (though drop by at 2 a.m. in the summer and you're likely to see 5 in my miniscule front yard), I decided maybe that theory was bunk. I also ruled out very short people and fairies....but not entirely vampires, tis the season, after all.

My latest theory is that my neighbors have a similar little gadget...or, perhaps, an identical little gadget....so every time someone comes to visit them (which is far more frequent), my doorbell rings (presumably in concert with theirs). And so I feel compelled to go to the door and make sure it's not someone turned up out of the blue to visit me...even though it generally isn't (my peeps are good about announcing themselves in advance)....even though that might be a nice surprise...well, if it were someone I wanted to see...otherwise, it might be a little uncomfortable....but mostly it just rings for no one.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

towwas said...

This happened to me at my last apartment in California - the landlord cleverly installed the ringer things in all four apartments, not realizing that they apparently all ran on the same frequency.